News Year’s Resolutions for Homeowners
What do you plan to accomplish in 2014? Do you plan to purchase a home? Maybe you are already a homeowner. In that case, what are your new year’s resolutions when it comes to your home? Here are some popular resolutions that homeowners make for the new year:
- Improve Energy Efficiency – In a recent HouseLogic blog post, author John Riha refers to this as “losing weight” and suggests the first place to start is your HVAC ductwork. Riha claims that sealing and insulating your ductwork can improve the efficiency of your heating and cooling system by 20%. Windows are another way to improve energy efficiency. According to Better Homes and Gardens, energy star windows can cut your fuel bills by as much a $340 per year over drafty, single-pane units.
- De-Clutter & Maximize Your Storage – Upgrade bedroom closets by installing rods on two levels for shirts and pants and consider adding pullout bins for smaller garments. Increase your kitchen storage space by installing a lazy susan in a corner cabinet. Another fast way to maximize storage is by adding overhead ceiling racks in your garage for luggage, recreational equipment and seasonal decorations or lawn equipment. You can make 2014 the year your car fits in your garage.
- Review Your Roof – Every homeowner’s priority should be keeping their home’s structure safe and sound. If you have a roof that is 30+ years old and two layers thick, bypass fancy kitchen and bathroom remodels and look into a new roof. If you were to put your home on the market, potential buyers feel that a roof replacement is a much bigger issue to overcome than a functional, but dated kitchen or bath.
- Improve Your Insurance Score – Your insurance score is used to determine your insurance premium. The higher your insurance score, the higher the premiums you will pay. According to HouseLogic, the most effective way to raise your insurance score is to improve your credit score. Paying down balances on credit cards and paying bills on time are the best ways to improve your score, drop your insurance score and lower your insurance premiums.
- Get Involved – There is no place like home, so consider its safety. Gather a group of your neighbors to discuss a neighborhood watch program. What types of crimes are occurring in your neighborhood? Invite a representative from your local police to come to your meeting and answer questions.
Ready to Become a Homeowner?
Contact a licensed Inlanta Mortgage loan officer to discuss what home financing option is the best for your unique situation. From no down payment USDA and VA loans, to renovations loans and conventional financing, Inlanta Mortgage offers a solution for almost any home financing need. Find a loan officer near you using our branch locator, or simply apply online and we will forward your application to a loan officer licensed to originate mortgage loans in your state.
Our mission is to be the home financing partner that you trust to serve your family, friends and community. Through our family of dedicated mortgage professionals our commitment is to deliver an exceptional experience. Our unwavering dedication to integrity, honesty and ethics is the foundation of all of our relationships.
About Inlanta Mortgage
Celebrating its 20th Anniversary, Inlanta Mortgage is a growing mortgage banking firm committed to quality mortgage lending, ethical operations and strong customer service.
Inlanta Mortgage offers Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac agency products, as well as a full suite of jumbo and portfolio programs. The company is an agency approved lender for Fannie Mae, FHA/VA, FHA 203K and USDA. Inlanta Mortgage also offers numerous state bond agency programs. Review Inlanta’s mortgage loan programs here.
Inlanta Mortgage is a multi-state mortgage banker based out of Brookfield, Wisconsin NMLS #1016. Inlanta Mortgage was named a Top Mortgage Lender in 2012 by Scotsman Guide and has been listed on Mortgage Technology’s Top 25 Tech Savvy Lenders List for the last four years.