Have you prepped your car for winter traveling? We’re not referring to snow tires – we’re referring to the items you should carry in your car in case of an emergency.
With a few frigid months ahead of us (at least for a good portion of the country), it’s a good idea to make sure you are properly prepared for a possible break down or accident during freezing weather. Here are a few items we recommend you keep inside your vehicle – just in case.
Winter Emergency Car Kit
- Blanket – Sometimes the unexpected happens. If you breakdown when it’s freezing outside, you will appreciate this extra layer of warmth as you wait for help.
- Extra Hats, Socks, and Mittens – Did you poke you head around your engine to see what the problem was? Or maybe you took a quick peek under the car. In either case, you may have gotten wet and will appreciate dry mitts or socks when you finally decide to climb into your car and wait out the rescue party.
- Water & Snacks – Ideally, you will only be stuck on the side of the road for a brief time. However, winter storms often delay tow trucks and other rescue personnel. Make sure you have some water and snacks in case the wait becomes excessive.
- Flashlight with Extra Batteries – A flashlight is a must-have – especially if your break down happens at night!
- Car Cell Phone Charger – There isn’t anything much worse than being stranded on the road, in a storm, with a dead cell phone.
- First Aid Kit – Let’s assume you won’t ever have to use this…but you will feel better knowing you have one should the time come.
Car accidents and break-downs are inevitable during the winter. In addition to packing a winter car kit with all the items mentioned above – make sure your automobile is in good working order. Check all coolant and fluid levels and make sure the pressure is right on all of your tires.
Stay Safe This Winter
Now this probably goes without saying – but let’s just say it: Slow down, don’t tailgate, and brake slowly. Let’s all stay safe throughout this holiday season!
Inlanta Mortgage offers Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac agency products, as well as a full suite of jumbo and portfolio programs. The company is fully delegated HUD-FHA including FHA 203K, VA, and USDA approved. Inlanta Mortgage also offers numerous state bond agency programs. Review Inlanta’s mortgage loan programs here.